Monday, April 14, 2014

North Texas Spring

Seriously, I planted a garden (my first) in the early days of the warm month of March... then there was a cold snap- a freeze- and some of those plants suffered... some even didn't make it. I nursed them for some time, but I finally realized that they were dead.

I waited...

Mid-late April came, the weather has been wonderful, so I went to Covington's Nursery (a local place) and sought advice, then replaced the few plants that had died.

In addition, I sought advice regarding another issue... the dang beetles that seem ubiquitous for the area. The other night, I had noticed that they were every-freakin-where, and especially LOVED my garden. There was certainly evidence of them destroying my plants.

You see, I want to be an organic farmer- OK gardener. I have chosen as many "organic" things as necessary, even considered the fact that bugs like gardens, but until I actually encountered my first pest problem, I didn't understand.

*there's a reason to go as local as you can*

I asked about the beetles and the employee suggested at least 3 alternatives- all natural- that I could use to ward my garden of these pests. One involved an all-natural contact pesticide, another involved sprinkling the ground with diatomaceous earth, and the final was "garlic spray". I understood the words garlic and spray, so I inquired further.

Two bulbs of garlic + two pints of hot water + blender for 1-2 minutes + 1-2 days = a wonderful spray concentrate that repels and possibly kills many a pest. I sprayed this all over the garden.

I tried this and last night noticed that all those black beetles that were on the garden the other night were all over the yard, but when I checked the garden, one or two were straggling around on the dirt until I sprayed them with the garlic spray, I didn't see them again when I checked later.

Now there's a frost warning/advisory for this evening.

I get it, there is a cost to growing your own food that goes beyond money. It's an investment of time, energy, and problem-solving. It's a classic man-versus-nature battle.

There are many complexities involved. Just the other day I noticed ants crawling all over the bed of the garden along with other unidentifiable bugs. Do I try to get rid of them or let them stay? Are they going after my vegetables or just making a home in fertile soil? Are they helpful or harmful?

These are the type questions that we all ask when it comes to our health. I am currently teaching my Sunday school class on the "Three Simple Rules". They are as follows: 1.) Do no harm, 2.) Do good, 3.) Stay in love with God.

Without thinking much about it, I've asked these questions for years regarding my diet and exercise regimen. Am I doing harm? Am I doing good? These are the same questions I must ask when deciding on my gardening experience. How will my actions harm my family? How will my actions do good? Do I still love God?


All I know is that I sprayed the dang garden with some garlic spray and covered it with some plastic bags. If there are vegetables in the summer, then you will know that I have somehow become triumphant in this epic battle between man and nature... and when that epic battle is over, I know- if nothing else- that I have grown and learned so much more that I ever could have by reading about it.

God Bless!
Paul

No comments:

Post a Comment